Otago Volts and SBS Bank Otago Sparks Summer Schedule Released15 Aug 2019
NZ Cricket has released the domestic schedule for the 2019-20 season with the two Otago flagship teams playing host to 18 fixtures across all formats this summer.
In an exciting development, SKY TV have increased its broadcast coverage, televising the majority of Super Smash fixtures. Otago will play host to three Super Smash double header fixtures (all televised) and two single fixtures (one televised).
NZC bourgeoning relationship with India, means that all Super Smash games televised by SKY TV will be televised live throughout India by STAR SPORT.
Otago Cricket CEO Mike Coggan emphasised the good work that is taking place at NZC for the increased coverage and what it means for improved product visibility. “NZC have built excellent relationships with key broadcast partners and as a result our Super Smash product will be promoted and expanded on a televised platform not seen before in NZ and across India. Our Super Smash product is on par with the majority of T20 leagues around the world. It’s exciting that nearly all fixtures will be screened live”.
Super Smash League Manager Wade Johnson said “With the BLACKCAPS Test team in Australia and the WHITE FERNS available throughout, the Super Smash gets a special window in which Kiwi cricket fans can watch the best white ball players in the country compete for domestic glory”.
Otago teams will again play in Invercargill (Plunket Shield), Alexandra (two Christmas period Super Smash fixtures) with a Ford Trophy fixture being taken to Queenstown. As we continue to develop strategies to grow cricket, it’s important that we continue to spread our fixtures across our region and show support for our District Associations, as it offers greater opportunity for more people to engage in cricket.
NZC and the NZCPA (New Zealand Cricket Players Association) have a new Women’s Master Agreement, which will see nine (9) domestic players on Domestic Competition Agreements per Major Association. Suzie Bates said: “This agreement will hopefully make the game more attractive and accessible for young, aspiring players”. We are excited about this development and commitment to the Women’s game.
NZC chief executive David White said the negotiations had been thorough and robust but added it was clear both parties shared a common goal in wanting to see women’s cricket in New Zealand thrive. “I want to thank the NZCPA and the women’s cricketers for negotiating in such good faith and for never backing away from the absolute priority we all share: to advance the women’s game in the most effective and expedient way possible.”
Burger King Super Smash
• 19 December 2019, Otago Volts v Auckland Aces (4.10pm), University of Otago Oval, Dunedin (SKY TV)
• 29 December 2019, SBS Bank Otago Sparks v Northern Spirit (12.40) and Otago Volts v Knights (4.10pm), Molyneux Park, Alexandra (SKY TV)
• 30 December 2019, SBS Bank Otago Sparks v Canterbury Magicians (12.40) and Otago Volts v Canterbury Kings (4.00pm), Molyneux Park, Alexandra (SKY TV)
• 6 January 2020, Otago Volts v Wellington Firebirds (4pm), University of Otago Oval, Dunedin
• 11 January 2020, SBS Bank Otago Sparks v Central Hinds (12.40pm) and Otago Volts v Central Stags (4.10pm), University of Otago Oval, Dunedin (SKY TV)
• 21 November 2019, Otago Volts v Wellington Firebirds, Queenstown Events Centre, Queenstown
• 26 January 2020, Otago Volts v Central Stags, University of Otago Oval, Dunedin
• 2 February 2020, Otago Volts v Northern Districts, University of Otago Oval, Dunedin
• 9 February 2020, Otago Volts v Auckland Aces, University of Otago Oval, Dunedin
• 30 October – 2 November 2019, Otago Volts v Auckland Aces, University of Otago Oval, Dunedin
• 8-11 November 2019, Otago Volts v Northern Districts, University of Otago Oval, Dunedin
• 1-4 March 2020, Otago Volts v Canterbury, Queens Park, Invercargill
• 10-13 March 2020, Otago Volts v Central Stags, University of Otago Oval, Dunedin
Hallyburton Johnstone Shield
• 30 November & 1 December 2019, SBS Bank Otago Sparks v Northern Spirits, University of Otago Oval, Dunedin
• 22 & 23 February 2020, SBS Bank Otago Sparks v Wellington Blaze, University of Otago Oval, Dunedin
With a full domestic and International schedule, there will be a lot of cricket to watch this summer!
Otago Cricket Season Memberships will be available to purchase from mid next week. Memberships will include tickets to International matches (excluding Junior Volts). Keep a look out on our website or social media for further details.